HPC, Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence convergent platform
at a glance…
Starting on 1st March 2021, the project ACROSS will run for a 3-year period with a total budget of €8.8 million. Funding of €4 million is provided by Horizon 2020, the Research and Innovation funding programme of the EU, supplemented by grants from national funding authorities and in-kind contributions of the partners. ACROSS is a consortium composed of 13 actors from 8 European countries and is coordinated by the Italian Fondazione LINKS, already working on HPC projects such as LEXIS and OPERA and FET B-CRATOS, which combine high-performance, Low Power and scalable architectures.
The pace at which data are generated by scientific experiments and large simulations poses new challenges in terms of capability of efficiently and effectively analysing massive data sets. Artificial Intelligence, and more specifically Machine Learning and Deep Learning, recently gained momentum for boosting simulations’ speed. ACROSS will leverage on next generation of pre-exascale infrastructures, still being ready for exascale systems, and on effective mechanisms to easily describe and manage complex workflows in these three domains. Energy efficiency will be achieved by massive use of specialized hardware accelerators, monitoring running systems and applying smart mechanisms of scheduling jobs.
ACROSS will combine traditional HPC techniques with Artificial Intelligence, such as Machine Learning and Deep Learning, and Big Data analytic techniques to enhance the application test case outcomes. The performance of Machine Learning and Deep Learning will be accelerated by using dedicated hardware devices. ACROSS will also promote cooperation with other EU initiatives (e.g., BDVA, EPI) and future EuroHPC projects to foster the adoption of exascale-level computing among test case domain stakeholders.
Latest news from the project
- The need for accurate weather forecastsThe growing need for timely and accurate weather forecasts originates from many sectors, such as agriculture, aviation, renewable energy, civil protection etc. One of ACROSS’s main plans, is the development and the demonstration of technologies that enhance the skill of weather forecasting, through the increase of the spatial resolution of both global and regional forecasting […]
- ACROSS participation at HPC I/O in the Data Center WorkshopACROSS project has been part of the HPC-IODC workshop (https://hps.vi4io.org/events/2021/iodc) co-located with ISC-2021, where LINKS (A. Scionti) attended as an invited panelist to the afternoon session. As such, LINKS Foundation presented the ACROSS vision on the management of the convergence of HPC, AI and Big-Data on current and future supercomputer systems, with a focus on […]
- How HPC Solutions and Technologies should bring value & innovation in the sectors of aeronautics, weather and energy and carbon sequestrationI would like to start this blog by highlighting first the challenges and needs these sectors are experiencing, especially the convergence of HPC, BD & AI. It seems that large amounts of generated data often hide an immeasurable value that is at the basis of these days’ transformation of the HPC world. As such, cross […]
- Leonardo, the new Italian answer to the high performance computing demandThe quest for ever more computing performance in the context of modern scientific and industrial application use cases is pushing technology providers to design and manufacture new machines, which are able to push performance towards the exascale, still preserving the overall energy efficiency. Besides the traditional applications needs in terms of pure number crunching capabilities, […]
- Kick-off meetingThe H2020 ACROSS project has just started! ACROSS – HPC Big DAta ArtifiCial Intelligence cross Stack PlatfoRm TOwards ExaScale – will codesign and develop an HPC, Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence convergent platform, supporting applications in the Aeronautics, Climate and Weather, and Energy domains.